Monday, August 18, 2014

State School Board Meeting

  It's been a while since I've posted, but please know I have not been idle in fighting Common Core in Idaho.  Tuesday, August 12, we had a great meeting in Twin Falls/Jerome educating more parents and trustees about why we should be fighting Common Core.  On August 14, I, along with 5 other moms, was able to address the State Board of Education about my concerns with CCSS and specifically the SBAC/ISAT.2.0.  That's right.  The state has renamed the SBAC the ISAT 2.0, a deceptive move in my opinion, that implies Idaho is out of the consortium, which is not the case.  Here are my comments to the board:

"I have many concerns about the origin, funding, and lack of transparency that has accompanied the Common Core Standards, but will focus my comments to you today about my concerns with the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium.  I chose to not have my children take the SBAC test this past spring.  I started seeing and hearing rumors and decided to do my own research and try to find the truth. 

   Before opting my children out, I asked if I could sit with them and look over the tests as they took them.  This was refused.  I was told sample tests were available, but I wanted to see the actual exam my students were taking since so many rumors had been circulating about questions irrelevant to a student’s knowledge or those of a data-seeking nature being asked.  And I don’t think those particular questions would appear on a sample test.

I have read the talking points and sample letter you encourage administrators to send to noncomplying parents who have concerns with the SBAC.  I understand that the state does not have an opt-out policy for testing.  And I understand federal and state guidelines require 95% of students to be tested to receive funding and prevent lowering of a school’s star rating.  But my tax dollars help to provide that funding and my parental authority trumps all of that.  I am not alone in my concerns in our state and other states throughout the nation.  A national movement has started to boycott high-stakes testing next year, whether the state has a policy in place or not. 

Because there have been so many concerns voiced by parents and teachers, I have been told that a group of Idaho educators and parents is being organized to review questions on the SBAC.  I feel this is another attempt to placate those who are questioning the test.  Is Idaho going to be given a separate test from the rest of the consortium? Who ultimately determines what questions will be on the test, even after receiving input from parents and teachers?  If we are going to insist on using high-stakes testing to measure our students’ success, and our teachers’ and schools’ performances,  then I want Idaho’s educators, Idaho’s parents, and Idaho’s leaders to develop, write, and approve the standards and tests.  Being in a consortium with other states prevents us from having the flexibility to adjust and adapt the testing for the needs of Idaho’s students. 

 Renaming the SBAC the ISAT-2.0 is really quite deceptive; it gives the impression that we have left the consortium and Idaho is once again in control of its testing, which is not the case.

I don’t want a “re-name”.  I want a repeal.  Please do the right thing and choose to withdraw from the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium as a first step to repealing Common Core in Idaho."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment